Thursday, May 26, 2016

Is someone's face too dark in the photo? TURN ON FLASH!

We love to take our photos against some man made or natural backdrop, like in front of  Eiffel Tower, Statue of Liberty or against some great natural landscape.
Here I wanted to take a photo of my friend during a hike. The background was filled with low clouds, mountains and the town underneath. However, when I took the photo in Auto mode. my friend was too dark as he was under the shadow. Once I can determine the issue, I can work on fixing it. I needed to change camera a bit. Now in such situations, if you try to expose the photo, as per my previous post on adjusting exposure, based on the light on the face of my friend, the camera will overexpose the scene and the background would be washed out (too bright). So what do I do?


I turned the flash on and asked camera to fire the flash. The flash provided light for the 20-25 feet from me. This was enough to brighten the face of my friend and the the shrub that was right behind him. The result was a beautiful photo!

No comments:

Post a Comment